Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 Review
If you’ve been a user of Kaspersky security products for a couple of years, then you will be a bit surprised when you first open the new Kaspersky Internet Security 2012. That’s because the new KIS 2012 had a complete user interface makeover and now features a completely new look. The new interface of the program is geared towards better usability, more intuitive operation and faster access to all features of this security suite.
The redesigned interface is the main new feature of Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, but there is a lot more the program has to offer. Let’s have a closer look.
- High rating from independent security software testing labs
- Intelligent firewall with rock-solid prevention technologies
- Advanced parental control
- New Cloud Protection feature
- New File Advisor context menu feature
- Revamped user interface
- Sometimes needs a bit more CPU power, especially when removing an infection. This is easily overcome by using the Cloud Protection feature
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 is a thorough, solid security package that does a really good job at protecting Windows computers from all kinds of infections and threats. One of its biggest advantages is that it’s very easy to navigate thanks to the new, overhauled interface. In addition to that, Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 has all the features that made Kaspersky products all-time favorites – advanced detection algorithms, a strong behavioral scanner, a good firewall and parental control.
The installation of KIS 2012 is pretty quick and is as easy as following the instructions of the Installation Wizard. When the installation is complete, you will need to activate Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 and update malware definitions.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 had a complete interface redesign. In a way, its new look is a bit similar to the one of Bitdefender Total Security 2012. Both developers went for large icons and both used a smartphone-like slider. It’s this slider that makes navigating to different features very easy and speeds up access to all of the KIS 2012 options.
In addition to the slider, Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 has a button that gives quick access to the new Cloud Protection feature at the top of the screen. When you click on the button, you get the most recent information about the Kaspersky Security Network. This lets you access information about safe and malicious programs if you have any doubts. Kaspersky Security Network (KSN) is an great way to quickly detect infections and nip them in the bud.
To cut a long story short, the new interface is a huge improvement because it makes the program more intuitive and easier to use.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 has quite a few new features:
- Kaspersky Security Network –this is the new Cloud Protection feature that sends anonymous data to Kaspersky servers. There the files are checked for infections without wasting your system resources.
- File Advisor – a new context menu feature that allows you to check file reputation without using the main program window.
- Better anti-phishing and anti-spam protection
- Improved Kaspersky URL Advisor
- Improved parental control features that let you monitor social network use and IM traffic
- Other features, such as privacy cleaner, network port monitoring, gaming mode, virtual keyboard for protection against keyloggers, battery saving options, and more.
A scan on a test computer (4Gb of RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium) proved Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 to be fast and responsive. The scan ran in the background and didn’t interfere with other user activity. The CPU usage was higher than usual, but it never reached an alarming rate. If you are on a decent home computer, Kaspersky is perfect for you, as it won’t consume a lot of system resources. However, if you have an older system, Kaspersky might make it run slower, especially while performing a scan.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 got very good ratings from various independent security testing labs. For example, it got an “Advanced+” certificate from AV-Comparatives, which puts it at the top of the list.
The Verdict: Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 provides comprehensive protection against all sorts of infections and online threats. It’s also very comfortable and easy to use, which makes it ideal for everyone wanting a no-nonsense security suite.